Sunday, August 19, 2007

Taking the Fun out of the Funnies



I'm not sure if you can see this comic, but the small little coolers have the words "hearts", "kidneys", "livers", and "tonsils" written on them. Now imagine yourselves trying to explain this to a four and six year old. "What's a black market?" "Why is the market black?" "How can you donate organs?" "Why are they called organs" "What does a kidney do" "What does a liver do" "Why wouldn't you want tonsils?" After about five minutes, I told them I was done trying to help them understand why it was funny. Because even if it had been a little humorous to begin with, it definitely was no longer funny. They have really taken to reading the comics (well Mason reads, and Katie adds the laugh track). When is the last time you saw someone laugh at Garfield? Has Snoopy EVER been funny? At least Mason is smart enough to avoid Doonesbury. But they laugh through the whole thing. But they also laugh every time they hear the word "underpants", so they definitely aren't a hard sell.

No comments: