Although there are many days where I think people are pretty wimpy for doing that, I have new respect for how dangerous ice storms can be. Snow I can handle. Ice--I'd rather stay home. The last couple of days we've had some impressive ice accumulation, which produced these amazing works of art:

The laurel bush in the background is where these ice leaves formed.

And it also gave me this treat:
I put a canopy over our big sand box so that the leaves wouldn't make it so messy. Note to self: take down the canopy the next time there is an ice storm predicted! Luckily it popped back up once the zipper unfroze and I was able to get in and break the ice off of it. A little damaged, but remarkably intact considering what it went through.
5 comments:
Those leaves were gorgeous. I remember having an ice storm once when we were having a birthday party for one of the kids. We woke up in the morning to at least an inch of ice on the windshield of our van. I waited all day for it to warm up and melt it off. Finally, about an hour before the party (we were to go to McDonald's or some other great place) I started the car with the heat going full blast. Even with that I still had to go out after 45 min. and chip away enough for me to see. I recall pouring hot water on it which is a real no no. Lucky for me the windshield didn't break.
Honey I agree - snow is one thing but ice is bad. It causes so many other problems.
But it does make the world look like a winter wonderland. The leaves were gorgeous!
I've never seen anything like your ice leaves. They're beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I think we'll stick with the snow.
Beautiful photos! Love them!
I can relate to thinking that Virginians were winter wimps....until I experienced an ice storm:) Like you said, totally different than snow and also, it seems like Virginia has more narrow winding roads than any other place I've ever been which also makes the school cancellations even more necessary.
I'm glad you went out and snapped a few photos. They're beautiful. If I were the superintendant of schools, I would have canceled too. That ice would make for really nasty roads.
Post a Comment