Monday, January 19, 2009

Katie's Inheritance

I know a lot of mothers leave their jewelry to their daughters after they die. I decided to start a little early.

I took out my jewelry container today (one of the few graduation gifts I recieved that is still in use) and decided the time had come to part with some treasures.
Necklace worn for Prom (very sparkly!)? Gone!
Tarnished silver bracelet from Jackson Hole? Gone!
Necklace from sister that is missing stones in obvious places? Gone!
I think you get the idea.
I had them in a pile on my bed, and when Katie saw it, it was like a moth to a flame. When I told her she could HAVE them ALL, it was like a second Christmas for her. When she went to bed tonight, she carefully strung each of her new treasures onto her reading light. She's not a really girly-girl, but she loves jewerly (the shinier the better). She couldn't comprehend why I no longer wanted to wear the cubic-zirconia/fake pearl necklace I had worn to prom.

The ironic part about all of this is that some of the jewelry I have in my container are things I stole ("borrowed long-term") from my mom's jewelry box. So I guess I know where Katie gets her love for bling.

4 comments:

KJA said...

That's darling! Bekka loves bling too.

Delsa said...

Thanks for sharing these. That Katie, the pack rat. Does she get it from Grandpa Quinn?

charlesfam said...

Mom's necklaces are always the best, especially if they're sparkly. Thanks for sharing. Also, I love your baby gym post. Your kids are so cute.

Anonymous said...

That's so cute. I used to love getting my mom's old cast offs too. I especially remember these "cocktail rings"that were made out of tiny purple beads all wound up into a big ball. It was magic.