There's always a first time for everything. Sometimes those are good things, and sometimes they are root canals.
I had a sensitive tooth that had been bothering me for a couple of months, but I hate going to the dentist when I'm pregnant, so I had to put off getting it fixed. When I went in last week, I found out the bad news.
So when I went in today, armed with an MP3 player to drown out the drill and a prepaid flex plan credit card to pay the bill, I was ready for it. He got down to business, and after a little while he stopped and said that he thought I was just going to need a crown, no root canal. My spirits soared!
But then he kept scraping. And scraping. And scraping. And then I heard what I somehow knew I was going to hear but kept hoping that I wouldn't: "Oh, that last little bit exposed the nerve. We'll have to do the root canal."
Are you serious?
Somehow it seemed so much worse to have to go through it after I had laid there in the chair singing along to the 'Wicked' soundtrack thinking of all of the pain and discomfort I was going to miss out on because I had been spared the root canal. Or so I thought. You know who is wicked? My dentist--who was chosen only on the basis of a promotion he ran that involved free tooth whitening trays. I'm such a sucker. But at least I'm a sucker with white teeth.
So now I sit here with a golden temporary crown on my white teeth. I have to admit that the fact that I can drink cold water without pain makes me feel a little kinder toward my dentist.
I guess everyone has a role to play in this world--and mine is to be a walking advertisement for why it important to brush and floss.
6 comments:
I feel for you. I remember having a root canal and my mouth hurt so bad from keeping it opened for so long I thought I would never be able to close it agina.
You're a great writer Amy. I love reading your posts. They always make me wish you weren't so far away.
I have a root canal or two hanging over my head right now, but luckily Dr. Walcott knows my aversion and is doing everything in his power to avoid it. How hard was the root canal? I've had a crown and it wasn't so bad...
I could rant four hours on the same subject. Hours. And I don't when use the teeth whitening since it makes my teeth too sensitive. Thanks for making me a facebook friend. I'm enjoying catching up with your beautiful family on your blog. Michelle ( burnside) Fowers
I've had two root canals in my life: one when Caleb was 2 weeks old, and one when Ben was 3 weeks old. Since I was recovering from a c-section each time, the root canal didn't seem so bad. I was just happy to lay back in the chair and have some peace and quiet.
So sorry! After C was born, I went back to the dentist and had to pay for months of not flossing. I'm more diligent about it now.
Post a Comment