Sunday, April 5, 2009

Let's Make a Deal

Today on the way to church, Katie asked me if she could talk to me. Alone. With no one else in the room.

Needless to say, I was intrigued.

I kept trying to imagine what it might be. More concerns about the crazy things her body will do when she has a baby? Probably not--I knew she had been sufficiently freaked out about all of that to last her a while. Maybe a boy she likes? Again, probably not. Her best friend at school is a boy, chosen because she didn't have to worry about playing princess things with him, not because she "likes" him.

My curiosity overwhelmed me, but my requests for an explanation met with little success (since we were in the chapel--definitely not a room all by ourselves). I am persistant, so I finally got her started on a game of 20 Questions with me so I could figure out the answer.

I don't have enough time to take you through the dramatic course of how I got the answer out of her, but I had to laught when I finally did. She wanted to discuss with me the possibility of negociating with the Easter Bunny to get her a Flip Camcorder (Mason has one that he got for Christmas). She had come up with this scheme of basically sacrificing some of her other toys to the Easter Bunny to garner his favor, and then throwing out a Hail Mary request for what she really wanted.

It's hard not to tell her that it's a great plan, since she was so very sincere about it and had obsiously put a lot of thought into it. I didn't know how to tell her that I knew that the Easter Bunny had already picked out a couple of perfect things he knew she would love (a jump rope for her, so she'll stop using my favorite scarf, and a hooded bath towel so that she won't always want to use Chloe's). I think she'll forgive him.

2 comments:

Abram said...

This made me happier than either you or Katie could ever imagine. Great story.

shawna b. said...

I think she'll forgive the Easter Bunny, too, but I bet she hits up Santa!

Let me say again how much I love that Katie Quinn! That could be the start of a poem .... I need to get Mason on that!