
Last week, I got two emails from friends, well actually from Facebook, saying that I had two friends who had joined Facebook and I would need to join too to see their page. I have gotten these before and always ignored them, but I wanted to check in on one of them so I went ahead and signed up.
Along the way as you sign up, you give them your email access and Facebook goes through all the names in your address book to see who else might already be in Facebook. Then I got the list of all the people I might know, and was asked to choose which ones were my friends.
Facebook is really into the "friends" thing. I looked down the list and clicked the people that I knew pretty well and continued on. I didn't realize that Facebook then sends all of those people emails to confirm if we really are friends or not. I've been feeling like I'm back in 5 th grade when you pass notes that say "Are you my friend? Check "yes" or "no"."
I guess I wasn't very careful when I chose who my friends were, because I clicked on someone I don't actually know. She emailed me asking, "Do I know you?" I had to email her back and tell her we're not actually friends and that I just made a mistake. Maybe I should have asked if she wanted to be my friend.
I never actually meant to do anything on Facebook except have an account so that I could see my friends webpage. But I logged in to see what was on my page, and it has this long list of who my "friends" have recently become "friends" with. Are they doing that to taunt me because I don't have any new friends?
Either way, I guess I'll keep it. The funny thing is that somehow it makes me feel more exposed than this blog where anyone can check in--as opposed to Facebook where I have to approve you as a "friend". But in the end, you've got to have friends, and according to Facebook I'm up to about 17 of those.
5 comments:
Can I be your friend?
+Oh I want to be your friend too! I am totally with you on the craziness of facebook. I joined to apparently check one of my friends pages adn then apparently it sent everyone in my address book an email asking if they wanted to be my friend? So, if they are in my address book for my email account, wouldn't that already suggest that they are my friends?
~Holly Gray
I'll be your friend! :) The same thing happened to me and now I have a Facebook account that I don't use for anything. It's just another way to suck away our time (as if blogging wasn't enough)!
Thanks for the heads up! No registering for Facebook!
I feel the same way about Facebook. It does somehow feel more juvenille than blogging. Our blog is byuva.blogspot if you ever want to check it out.
Natalie
Post a Comment