Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Visit




We had a great time this weekend with my brother Brian and his family. They tried out their new perks that come from his wife working for Northwest out of the Detroit airport. They can fly free on standby, and there's a direct flight from Detroit to Charlottesville, so they decided to come visit.

They were supposed to get in at 11:00 pm on Friday night, but since there were some weather and mechanical issues, the flight left late. I thought it was going to arrive at midnight, so I left around 11:00 and went grocery shopping before getting to the airport. After about 10 minutes, a security guard came over and asked if I was waiting for the Detroit flight, because it wasn't going to arrive for another hour and a half. I guess the plane sat on the tarmac for a solid hour after they were supposed to have left, and since I hadn't brought my cell phone, I had no idea.

That's when I was grateful for a small airport and a DVD player. I pulled into short-term parking, which was free since it was after midnight, and got out the DVD player I had grabbed just in case. Ryan had gotten out "The Sound of Music" to use in class, so that was what I brought. It's amazing how a good movie can make the time go by really fast, even at 1:00 in the morning sitting in the airport parking lot. It's also amazing how much Nazi stuff there is in the movie that I completely missed when I was a kid. It's kind of like watching "Grease" again as an adult and finally understanding why my mom didn't really like me watching it. It all went completely over my head.
We had a great time with them. The kids loved playing with their cousins, the weather was beautiful, and Brian helped Ryan fix our garage door opener. Hooray! He also watched our kids so we could go to dinner with friends. We had a great dinner today, and plenty of candy to go around. They flew home on the 4:00 flight this afternoon, so it was a quick visit, but very much appreciated.

5 comments:

EFN Newsletter said...

Greatest movie of all time. Did you work out some routines in your head for a Duck Beach adult activity?

EFN Newsletter said...

p.s. What a great family photo, I can't get ANY good family photos. Argh.

Lori said...

the outfits for Easter look great!

Delsa said...

Where was Yoshimi- that certainly wasn't her in the picture or she has changed a great deal.

bubblyone said...

amy quinn---yep its angie hyde and i love that i have your blog now--yeah! love it and wow love the pictures and just gettn'n the low down---our is mattandangiehydefamily.blogspot.com--sure miss you guys!

ang