Saturday, April 5, 2008

Saturday Yard Work

There were two large trees (among the dozens of large trees in our back yard) that we decided needed to be cut down since I noticed the ground by one of them would come up when the wind blew too hard. I thought it was a sign that the tree was going to land on our house when the next strong storm came through.

So Ryan went out with our trusty sawzall to cut them down this morning. The skinniest one came down without a fight, but the second one (the one I thought was about to fall at any moment) was much sturdier than I had originally thought, and ended up falling into the neighboring maple tree. Ryan climbed up to see if he could cut the branch away, but had no luck. I made the unfortunate comment that it made me nervous to have our breadwinner up so high in the tree--now Ryan thinks all I care about is the money.



After a LOT of work, we got the tree to fall finally. Unfortunately, it was right on top of our neighbor's fence. The bright spot in all of this is that the fence was already bent, and they hadn't gotten around to fixing it--so maybe now that it's bent in two places (and we'll offer to help pay for it) they'll finally get it done.





We are also sending out eviction notices to the ants and the moles in our yard. After all of this work to get grass to grow, there's no way I'm going to let them ruin it.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Poor bread winner, that's so funny!

Carolyn Hansen said...

So classic! Do you ever feel like nothing can be easy? I love the bread winner comment but Ryan's reaction more!

Delsa said...

Did that grass ever grow?

The MacQueens said...

I know what you mean about the bread winner stuff- I'm the one who cleans the gutters! Great job on getting your trees down. We have about 12 in our back yard that we'd LOVE to get rid of. How much does Ryan charge?? :)