Ryan was gone for 13 days on a trip to Australia this month. He's been home a week, and I think we're both finally recovered from it. This time it was business, but he did squeeze in a trip to go see his parents in Alice Springs and go to church "out bush". He got me a beautiful Aboriginal painting for Mother's Day (a day which he spent with his mother), so I forgave him for being gone.
It really makes me appreciate being together as a family, though. We've started back to our tradition of evening bike rides with the kids. This is our best year ever for it, because Andrew loves to ride in the bike trailer, and Katie doesn't need training wheels any more and can keep up with Mason. We have a great little cul de sac where they both learned to ride their bikes before we take them out through the neighborhood. The first trip out past the cul de sac has been a little scarry for both of them (and for their parents), but it's so fun seeing them overcome their fear and learn to love it.
I can't think of many things I enjoy more than watching my kids zooming up and down the hills (while we shout "look out for that parked car!" "stop at the intersection") and enjoying the challenge of keeping up with each other. After the bike ride, we head to the back yard to jump on the trampoline or play in the sandbox. Good weather makes me so happy.
I look at my kids growing up, and although I guess it's going fast, I'm glad they've gotten to where they are because they can do so much more now that we can enjoy together--the books we read, the bike rides, watching the Celtics games together (well, they only get the first 45 minutes or so...the curse of living on the East Coast). Even Andrew has gotten easier lately now that he's communicating better. I love that he's getting the concept of "after you do this, then you can do this". Being able to bribe my kids always helps to make things easier.
I look at all the tragedies happening throughout the world, and it makes me so grateful for my simple little life. You never know when it can all change, so I'm trying to make it a point to enjoy these moments.
2 comments:
I love the bribing thing too, although Max has really gotten the hang of it now. For example, "Max, you can have the popsicle after I change your diaper." "No mama, first popsicle, then I let you change diaper." Argh.
That is the pits when your kids figure you out Kristin.
How fun to bike ride as a family. I recall us trying that one summer, but I think it never worked for us.
How great to all be back together.
Post a Comment