Friday, May 1, 2009

Tis The Season

Next to holidays, my kids' favorite time of the year is caterpillar season.  Right around this time every year, our yard explodes into a caterpillar farm. 

I spotted the first one a few days ago.  As a result, I hear the front door slam every morning at 6:45 or so after Mason and Katie rush out to hunt them before leaving for school.  

I have been historically pretty srtict on not letting them bring them in the house, but Andrew was having such a great time with them that I let him bring a couple in to play during his quiet time.  

I think they had a great time.  They got to ride on the bus.
Heck, they even got to drive the bus.
They went for a spin around the room.
And even got to take a ride on the "ferris wheel."
I'm sure they were the envy of all the other caterpillars. Or at least they would have been had Andrew not lost them before we were able to return them to the wild.

Luckily there are plenty more.  But none will be lucky enough to hang out with Andrew during quiet time again.  Eventually we'll get our kids a real pet.  Maybe.  I keep thinking about it, and quickly get overwhelmed at the idea.  At least for the next couple of weeks, they have an unlimited number of pets just outside their door.

1 comment:

Shawna B. said...

Lucky bugs. Not every caterpillar gets to ride a bus, let alone drive one! Or get lost in the Quinn home ...