Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Heaven for Swiss Houses




We headed south to the middle of Switzerland on Monday, and went to the Ballenberg Museum.  When I said it was a museum, Andrew’s response was “I HATE museums!”  But I knew this was a different kind of museum than they had ever been to. 





The museum is comprised of about 100 old houses and buildings that were disassembled from their original locations and then  transported and reassembled in the “museum”, which is about 60 acres of beautiful Swiss countryside.  Each house had it’s own learning activity inside (lace, beauty shop, saw mill, hat maker, bakery, etc).  So it was kind of like a Colonial Williamsburg, but Swiss.  The houses were fantastic, huge, old, charming, etc., and there were things that the kids could do along the way.  We lasted five hours and could have done more if it wasn’t closing. That’s kind of a miracle for us in a “museum”.



My sister was introduced to the fact that Chloe is very spontaneous when it comes to needing to use the bathroom.  I had left for a minute, and Jen saw Chloe "bending over to get something" while on the playground, and quickly realized that what she was seeing is that Chloe really needed a bathroom ASAP and was happy to do her business right there.  For Chloe, the world is her toilet.  Luckily there was a "WC" (water closet/bathroom) nearby and her public display was put under wraps.  

This post is going to be a little photo heavy.  I went a little crazy. It was too hard to choose my favorites, so you get them all.


 Real patina.










 It was a BEAUTIFUL day once the morning rain stopped.


 I heart the built in bed.
 The very cool stoves
 The beauty salon was a favorite:
 Laundry:
 School:

 I still love the cows.
 And the doors.
 And Lake Brienz.


3 comments:

EFN Newsletter said...

Switzerland is gorgeous. And this looks like the best activity yet! So glad you're having a great time.

Jen said...

I love, love, love all the posts and pictures. Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

courtney said...

never, ever apologize for a photo-heavy post. i'm expecting you to pull out your "slides" and invite us over to watch them when you come home. i love the cows too, and the bells. even swiss doors are beautiful! love the pictures. keep it up.