Monday, November 5, 2007

B-I-N-G-O


Mason's elementary school hosts a Bingo night twice a year. We went once last year, with tragic results. We went home empty-handed, and our children were not prepared for that. As a result, we prepped them well for going to Bingo night last Friday. "We're going to have fun, not just to win." Of course, the idea of playing for fun didn't stop me from laying down some extra cash so we could each have two cards. We also made sure they knew that if we only had one person win, we would share the prize.

It paid off, since on the fifth game Katie's card hit the jackpot. She threw both arms up in the air and let out a very fine "Bingo" cheer. Within five minutes of winning, the idea of having to share her amazing prize hit her, and she began to try to figure out a way out of that. She was very creative in her rationalizing keeping everything to herself, but she didn't need to worry. I came through with a second bingo late in the game saving her from the devastation that would have come if she had to part with her treasures.

After the first bingo night we went to, I ended up buying a bingo game and playing it with the kids. I guess it wasn't good enough for Mason, though, because for FHE tonight we played his home-made bingo game. I think Mason would have thrived in "the good old days" since he loves to make everything himself. Not just does he make everything himself, he make everything out of paper. Paper, paper, and more paper. You name it, he can make it out of paper.

My card had the free spot in the wrong place and Katie's card had 7 horizontal lines instead of 5. It makes for a much more interesting game. Just don't breathe too hard because all of the little scraps of paper you use as markers will blow off your "card".

The best part was hearing him complain about how much work he had to go through to make the game. He was very dramatic about the exhaustion of cutting out and labeling everything. Granted, there was a lot of it involved even if it was completely unnecessary given the fact that we already have a perfectly good game sitting in our closet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's very talented. In fact it leaves me thinking one thing. He should be on "The Office." He loves paper--He's a dunder mifflin employee in the making. He could head up the innovation department and then the sales team could really beat "technology."

Delsa said...

I think that was alot of work. I know that I get pretty exhausted cutting up paper all day long. Why the other day I also wrote numbers on it and I had to take a nap in the middle.
I can relate alot to Mason. Maybe it's really me he takes after.