
Well, first of all I'm thankful for all five of my faithful blog followers and your encouragement. I'm happy to know you care enought to harass me.
On to cute anecdotes.
We're back to Mason this week. I went in to volunteer at his school today. On the wall, the teacher posted some lists each child made of the things they were grateful for. I was scanning the lists and the names trying to find Mason's ("my mom" was sure to be first on his list). My eyes rested on a list that only one person in the room could have written:
my family
the earth
grandma
grandpa
cusins
Heavenly Mother
angels
Seriously. It's got to be a good day for Heavenly Mother. How often does she get a shout out on a list like this? Other people get lots of credit, and there she is always in the background. I'm kind of joking, kind of serious. I'm glad to know Mason isn't afraid to shine the light on a very unappreciated deity.
It did, of course, make me wonder how everything Mason says and does is interpreted by his teachers (who understand he is a deviation from the norm) and other students (who may or may not get that). He has brought his Book of Mormon in to share with his class, stopped his teacher and principal on the playground to sing "Jesus Says Love Everyone" to them, and has probably at some point in time tried to explain the intricacies of the Plan of Salvation to his bewildered classmates.
Not long after going over these thoughts, one of the teacher's aids that is in Mason's class to help with two autistic children came over to talk to me. She told me she was sending a note home for me, but she wanted to also tell me what she had to say in person. Just so I get the wording right, here's what she said:
"I wanted to share with you how thankful I am for your son. He glows with the love of the Holy Spirit. He is a natural born missionary. He shares his knowledge of the Lord and the 2nd coming. He is so pure and special. I just wanted to share with you how much he has touched my heart, and spirit and many others in the class!"
"I wanted to share with you how thankful I am for your son. He glows with the love of the Holy Spirit. He is a natural born missionary. He shares his knowledge of the Lord and the 2nd coming. He is so pure and special. I just wanted to share with you how much he has touched my heart, and spirit and many others in the class!"
When she was talking to me, she had tears in her eyes. I was so moved by what she told me, and it made me really, really grateful for my sweet Mason. He's a great example to me in so many ways.
5 comments:
Laughing and crying - the best kind of blog!
YAY!! YAY!!! YAY!!! Three cheers for Amy who made a huge comeback to the blogging world today. Please, please don't make us wait so long again. Seriously, it's not that hard to write regularly. It's us you're hurting if you can live with that...
(was the teacher mormon?)
I can't tell you how that made my heart sing, I immediately yelled into Bob to get on the blog. What a sweet young man and what wonderful parents who have taught him. Truly he does have the light of Christ shinning brightly in him. Give him a big hug for me and tell him that I too am so very grateful for him.
None of his teachers is Mormon. But he did strategize that talking to the principal (singing "jesus said love everyone") would be a really effiecient way to share the gospel because if he could get the principal on board, then the whole school would hear the gospel. I just hope he has this much enthusiasm in 12 years.
Hi Amy- My name is Jamie and I'm a friend of Shauri's and she told me I had to read this post on your blog and I'm so glad she did. What a sweetheart of a son. I have an 18 month old boy and I pray that he has that sort of enthusiasm for the gospel as he grows up. I mean, stopping the principal to sing a primary song in hopes of getting the principal on board. That is absolutely precious. Thank you for writing your story, it's inspiring for a mom of a little one. :) - Jamie
Post a Comment