Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Dropping His Pride, and Overcoming His Prejudice

When we were in Australia, I used a story from Pride and Prejudice in a talk I gave at a mission conference. I used the part where Mr Darcy says he doesn't have great social skills, and Elizabeth responds that she's not as good at the piano as she would like but she has always assumed that it's her own fault because she won't practice.

The other day, Ryan mentioned that he has used that story a couple of times in the past few months. I let him know that he had no business using a story from a movie that he derides whenver it is mentioned. If he can't value the source, then it's off limits.

I'm not sure if it was that or whether it was the husband of a couple we stayed with while we were in Utah admitting that he really likes "Sense and Sensibility"--either way, the other day Ryan told me that he thought we should watch "Pride and Prejudice" together.

I had to think, "Who are you, and what did you do with my husband?" In 10 years of marriage, Ryan has always claimed he'd rather stick a fork in his eye than endure watching that movie. But every night since then, we've been down in our basment watching an hour or so at a time. And I am happy to say that, although I'm sure it's not his favorite movie, he is actually enjoying it.

I mean, what's not to love?

5 comments:

Heidi said...

I LOVE Pride and Prejudice! It has to be the six hour long A&E version though which I'm guessing is the version you watched "an hour or so at a time." : ) I recently found out about the Elizabeth Gaskell movies (Wives and Daughters / Cranford / North and South) and I want to see them. Have you seen them?

Anonymous said...

Triple love here. I've read the book about a million times, and the movie never quite measures up to that, but still it hasn't kept me from watching it multiple times.

It's just like when the boys said they wouldn't watch anne of green gables when we were in park city, and then every night they begged for the next video.

Richard said...

The only thing I can really say about Pride & Prejudice is that it is tolerable, I suppose, but not sufficient to tempt me.

Delsa said...

Thanks Amy, I just told Bob that if his son could watch it he ought to be able to. I think it should replace Scrabble for awhile. He agreed, but then he also gave me ballroom dancing once and never came through with it.
Last time I watched it was while he went to a Mission Pres. Seminar without me and I watched all 6 hours at once. It was great.

Lisa said...

Nice! That's so funny, I just watched the new version 2 nights ago while Shawn was out of town. Didn't have enough time to invest in the A&E version, but that will always be my favorite!