Monday, December 8, 2008

Love, Hate and Love-Hate

The Love? Christmas music. Ryan is a die-hard, tuning in from Thanksgiving to New Years. I put it on when I think about it. The radio was out on the cupboard today, so I tuned in, and it has made such a difference in my day. I find myself alternating between crying over the sentimental ones and dancing to the Feliz Navidad kind. Goodbye NPR--it's Christmas music from now until New Years.

The Hate? DVD late fees. I know I should do Netflix or something, but the kids (and I) enjoy being able to get something for our immediate gratification. Last night at 10:00 as I was holding a wide-awake baby I remembered that the DVD we had rented last Wednesday was due before midnight. It's only a 5 minute drive down and back, but when it's freezing cold and my baby is still awake and it's late, the distance is mentally multiplied times ten. Then the mental dilemna--is it worth the late fee to not have to go? Last night, comfort beat out frugality and the DVD remains in my room. I hate late fees.

The Love-Hate? I told myself I'd never do it, but yet I did. When your total number of cereal bowls is less than the number of people in the family (down from a start of 16), it's time to do something drastic. So I went out and bought Corelle. The plain white, no nonsense, no breaking variety that can easily be replaced piece by piece should my family prove too much of a match even for Corelle. We've already put it to the test, and so far it has passed. I love pretty dishes, but when I see them smashed one by one, even I have to admit that there is a time and a season for things. And this is our season for very boring, very plain, and very durable dishes.

3 comments:

KJA said...

It's hard and sad to finally admit that's where you are at, but one day, the children will be grown and you can get nice settings again. Keep the Corelle for when the grandkids come ;0)

Delsa said...

According to Kristin, you will need it when your grandkids come as Max seems to be doing a number of my dishes. Good thing I can't remember them anyway. If I recall, I didn't like them anyway.
I'm with you, take comfort with a little expense. I don't even like to do it here where it doesn't get that cold. But then I don't have to worry since who has time for a DVD.

Lori said...

That is why I take it one step further and buy plastic...the horror! I have to add that I hate library books, by the time they are due I can't find them if it be the life of me, so not only do I owe a fine, I have to buy the whole book or movie.