Monday, December 17, 2007

Monday's Adventure






Since Delsa was busy this morning, and Ryan was working, I decided to try out Adelaide's public transportation system and head to the beach. We went to Glenelg (your alarm just went off if you happen to be a member of the palindrome police). Delsa drove us to the middle of the city where we picked up the tram that took us to the beach. On the advertisements, the tram looked something like a trolley from San Francisco, but the reality was much more boring. In spite of the lack of quaintness, it got us to the beach in good time.

We headed to "The Beach House", an incredibly overpriced beachside attraction that had a train ride that went around a small miniature golf course (less than impressive). They made up for how pathetic the track was by letting you go around it three times. Nontheless, the kids loved it. We bought passes that let us go on the train an unlimited number of times, but once was definitely enough. We hit the carousel a couple of times, and played some of their Chuck E Cheese-style arcade games. The favorite was one that let you use a dinosaur head to try to nab candy and toy dinosaurs. Naturally it would have been way cheaper to just go to a store and buy the said prizes, but winning them makes them so much better. We finished it off with an indoor climbing structure that kept them busy for an hour or so.

We then headed down to the beach. It was a beautiful day in the 80's, and I brought their buckets and shovels. It's amazing how long Mason and Katie can entertain themselves with those things. Andrew, on the other hand, loves people to make holes in the sand and fill them with water so he can repeatedly jump in them, or have me bury his feet and ask him "Where are your feet?" It never, never gets old. The other thing that never gets old: Pokemon. It came with us on the train, which made the 30 minute ride a little faster for everyone.

We grabbed some hamburgers and took the tram back home. After we got home, Ryan cornered me and was trying to get me to talk details with him about Christmas. I wasn't very nice to him, and I realized that after a busy morning like that I don't want to have to talk to anyone or think about anything.

After 30 minutes or so, I was ready for something new, so we started a game of Scrabble (have you noticed a trend?). It was a game of 1-point letters for Garrett, which made for a good game for me.

Ryan and I get to enjoy a dinner tonight with those who are leaving. Elder and Sister Smith were so nice to take our children to the park, so we might actually get to hear some conversation.

The picture of Mason with cereal is to show Shauri that the Coco Crispies she bought last Christmas still have a home here. And I think they will last even past us, since Mason didn't love them.

3 comments:

Delsa said...

I don't know what's wrong with Mason. About a month ago an Area Seventy spent the week-end with us and he ate some of that great chocolate cereal and didn't complain at all.

Lisa said...

Don't you hate when you get home and someone has a different idea in their head than you do? Discuss Christmas? Not now!

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness she kept those around ALL YEAR. Never know when you might run out in the store. I hope there's some left next time I come!
KEEP WRITING!