Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Google Family Roll Call

When Ryan and I were talking on the phone tonight, the topic of where we show up when our names are googled came up. Ryan googled "amy quinn blog"--I'm NOWHERE in site. I finally took the time to go until I found something that had to do with me. On the 8th page is a mention from the original "quinnsunite blog". If I google "amy quinn", I make page 6 for something I did during my master's progam at Michigan. BUT, if I google "amy b quinn", I am #1. The amazing thing I did? Buy a house in St Louis. I have really made my mark. Ryan typed his name in and said "Oh, look! I'm number one!" What a show off.

So, in case you were wondering where you rank, let me tell you. I went through and just typed in the first and last name, no quotes (except for my desperate "amy b quinn")

Robert: #1. In fact, it's its own little section. Being an author really gets you places.
Delsa: #1 (and only "delsa quinn" when put into quotes). Blogs and your mission have put you on the map.
Shauri: #1. She dominated page 1, with the only intrution being a youtube video by another Shauri Quinn with the tags "transvestite" and "cowboy". Well, I think that's a different Shauri Quinn... (update: that is her video, and it's a great clip)
Ryan: #1. That says a lot since he doesn't blog and has a pretty common name. At least one of us in this marriage is famous. And I should mention he beat out #2: "A Gay Jock's Call to Arms".
Shawn: #2. Very impressive, and he dominates page 1. Let's see what we can do to get him to the top.
Lisa: Sorry lady, but I gave up after page 15. You've got even more competition than me (an author, a TV person, a psychologist...it's pretty bad). So everyone mention Lisa in their blogs.
Abram: #1. About half the first page is his. My favorite BY FAR is his mention in the Rex E Lee memorial run that shows up at the bottom. Way to go! Nice to break of all of the lawyer stuff with a little bit of your past. At least I'm guessing it's you...were you 23 in the year 2000?
Kristin: I found the EFN on page 4. The blogs pull through once again.
Travis: Makes page 3 for being director of sales for his NBA-D league team. Not too bad!
Garrett: Pulls out an impressive page 1 with his "Letters to Garrett" book.

I tried out my family, and although I gave up trying to find my dad (way too much competition), he showed up as #3 when I added on the word marathon. Good job! My mom came up on page two after I added on the word Montana for being in the "race for the cure" (unless you count her phone number being first...). I gave up on my sister, Jennifer Anderson, and her husband...way too many! Brian hit page 3 with a photo album, and his wife, Yoshimi has the honor of being completely missing (when her name is in quotes). Not a single result. So... YOSHIMI BURNSIDE!! Go find that Google! Nathan made page one for his work, I couldn't find Chad, and Richard made page two for his half-marathon. Paty got a hit (when I put her name in quotes) on her mission website. I couldn't find Crystal and I couldn't tell if I found Karen or not.

This was in no means rigorously done. In fact, just the opposite. So feel free to correct me. All I know is that I'm DONE with google for the night. It's time to go enjoy my first night of American Idol without commercials (we just got DVR a couple of months ago).

A quick update: Google found "Yoshimi Burnside"! She has a hit! Google is so amazing, it's almost spooky.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no...no intrusions. The transvestite thing is me. It was my school project last year about a transvestite: Becoming Ann. I was a bit shocked when I googled myself a few months ago and saw transvestite jump out. Luckily most people (like you) just dismiss the possibility that it could be me. :)

EFN Newsletter said...

Now that is what I call true commitment to your blog. I'm now pondering what I can do so that I will dominate my 1st page.

Lisa said...

I couldn't even find myself when I added my maiden name! What a loser!

Carolyn Hansen said...

After reading this I tried the google thing too. After several pages my blog popped up. We'd all be anonymous without our blogs. :)