Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Robert C. Baker is Smiling Up in Heaven


I was reminded today of an NPR blurb a year or so ago about a man named Robert C. Baker. I actually didn't remember his name, only that the man who had created the chicken nugget had died. Well, up there in heaven, I think he was happy today.


Why? Because there is a little girl here in my house who really loves his work. I had to leave the house for an hour to go run a couple of errands, and I left Andrew and Katie with a friend and her kids here in my house. It was lunch time, so I left a Sam's club bag of chicken nuggets for them, along with some applesauce, etc. I told her I usually give my kids about 5 or 6 pieces each, and left her to feed the masses.


When I got back, Katie proudly announced that she had eaten 18 chicken nuggets (give or take 1). What in the world? That's like a whole chicken. I mean, I'm a fan of the nuggets and all, but I can't even imagine eating that many as an adult. And that's not just because they taste like cardboard.


I guess my friend's kids sometimes eat large quantities, and she hadn't really kept track of how many she had given Katie until Katie had finished off her third plateful and then asked for more. What can I say--when she likes something, she likes it a lot.

4 comments:

Delsa said...

Poor Katie and you have been depriving her all of this time with 5 or 6 - Had I known when she was here she could have loved me forever.

Anonymous said...

18???? Holy Crap. Impressive. She clearly takes after her aunt Kristin in more ways than one.

Lisa said...

Now that's impressive!

Garrett said...

Tell Katie I'll have a nugget off with her anytime, anywhere.