Monday, December 3, 2007

A Couple of Memories

Since we still have two hours before the now infamous (in my mind) flight NZ5 is supposed to depart, here are a couple of Mason highlights, plus a Katie one.

Mason:

I offerred him a little bag of skittles on the plane, which he took. This was surprising, since he doesn't really like them. Crazy, I know. Anyway, I soon realized what he had in mind. He had decided that he was going to give a skittle to all of the people who were helping us on the plane. When the flight attendant passed by, he held out a red one and put it into her hand with a smile. She was very gracious, took it, and said "Wow--red's my favorite color!". Of course she was thinking that she would rather eat dirt than that skittle. Her encouragement was, in my mind, unfortunate since he bagan thinking about who else he could give them to (pilots, etc.). Can I just say it was a blessed event when he tripped coming off the airplane, sending the whole package flying. I love that Mason likes to do nice things, but he get's just a little bit off target some times.

Mason #2: This morning, we went down for the Travelodge's famous breakfast. Okay, famous is stretching it, but it was breakfast and it was free. There's about a 90% it was the worst hotel breakfast I've had, but as I said before: it was free. A nice woman named Juana was there to toast your bagels and hand you as many hard boiled eggs as you asked for (I guess they don't feel comfortable just leaving them out there for the taking). At the end of a row of toasters, there was a tip jar. Mason, using his well honed reading skills combined with curiosity and a complete lack of social awareness loudly read from the jar, "Tips gladly accepted." This was followed by a slew of questions like, "What is tip?" and "Are we going to leave a tip?" I had no money, and Ryan wasn't showing any signs of dropping change in the jar, so we grabbed our food and headed out. I was glad to read that they don't tip in Australia--it might save us from embarrassment.

Katie's quote for the day, said forcefully and with great feeling after having to take a shower since the Travelodge doesn't do tubs: "This is the WORST bath I ever taked!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all... I can't believe you guys stayed at the LAX travelodge. I think it's great the way you wanted to educate your kids on how the other half lives. Hilarious. 80 bucks is a pretty cheap room my friends. Pretty cheap indeed. I was totally laughing when I read about how Ryan ignored the tip jar too. Wow. Classic.

EFN Newsletter said...

Good to know you're teaching Katie about the cheap quinn tipping genes. Maybe you can send her out on the golf course with dad while you're there.